The following guidelines will be followed:
1. Wherever and whenever tamariki are sleeping there must be a kaiako detailed to monitor the sleeping tamariki.
2. The kaiako to tamaiti ratio must be maintained, whilst tamariki are resting and sleeping, including kaiako lunch breaks, during all times when Riverton Childcare is open for business.
3. Parents and/or caregivers endorse this procedure on enrolment. All parents will be given a copy of the policy in the “Welcome Pack.”
4. Tamariki who are to have a sleep are put into a cot or onto a mattress. Kaiako will check on sleeping tamariki on a regular basis.
5. We provide two separate areas, sleep rooms, for Explorer tamariki who need to sleep or rest while in the Childcare. There is also a sleep room where Adventurers may sleep or rest. A timer will be set and a kaiako will check each tamaiti no less than every 5 minutes.
6. Tamariki in cots will be visually checked to ensure that they are breathing comfortably and are warm and settled. Any older tamariki sleeping or resting in other places will also be checked every 5 minutes.
Tamariki Under 24 months of age: each tamaiti face to be checked visually to ensure they are breathing comfortably and that they are warm and settled, no less than every 5 minutes.
Tamariki Over 24 months of age: each tamaiti will be settled so they are resting comfortably and not disturbing others.
During the time they are sleeping, they will be checked no less than every 5 minutes to ensure they are still in their bed, resting comfortably and not disturbing others
7. Tamariki will not have access to fluids, while they are in bed, sleeping or resting. (Reg 26/21 (d) 2013).
8. The kaiako who checks the tamariki will complete a 'Sleep Monitoring Sheet' for the time period that there are any tamariki sleeping or resting. The time the tamaiti goes to bed, the time they go to sleep and the time the tamaiti gets up will be recorded. Every five minutes, the kaiako who has checked the tamariki will initial the sleep monitoring chart.
This procedure is to be reviewed annually.
Reference: Education (Early Childhood Childcares)
Regulations 1998 (2013) Clause 21 (4)